Recipe of The Week – Carbonara
Cooking Carbonara– the Best Ways to Cook a Good Pasta Dish
Among the most loved pasta dishes in the world is Spaghetti Carbonara. With the sweet aroma of the cheeses and the meat rising form the dish, it can be quite a favored dish that can simply satisfy the cravings you have. However, if there is one problem that has to be dealt with in the dish, it is the fact that it can be something that is quite complicated to cook. Actually, the truth is that this Pasta Dish is one of the easiest meals to cook in a hurry.
The Preparation and Ingredients
It comes to most people that Carbonara is technically a spaghetti dish cooked in white sauce. Perhaps the difference may be found in color, but the fact is the actual process of cooking is also somewhat different.
- A pound of spaghetti noodles
- ¼ cup or 250 ml of heavy cream
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 can of cream of mushroom
- Bacon or ham (around half a pound)
- 1 tsp of virgin olive oil
- Italian parsley (chopped into pieces of around 2 tablespoons)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic and onion (chopped or minced)
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese or if possible, pecorino Romano cheese.
- Fill up a large pot with water and add around a handful of salt. Taste-wise, the water inside the pot should be similar to the taste of saltwater. Cover it and heat it up until the water is boiling hot. This is necessary as the pot of water will be used to cook the boodles in. Al dente is a term used in cooking spaghetti noodles, which means that it must be tender yet firm when bitten.
- Dice bacon or ham is them cooked and sauté in a sauce pan for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Drain any excess oil from the ingredient by drying or draining it off on paper towels.
- Sauté the garlic and onion and add the bacon or ham. Add the milk and the cream of mushroom soup to the pan.
- Cream is mixed with parmesan cheese and then added to the pan. Bring to a boil the mixture and season with the spices. If the mixture seems a little thick or tastes salty, it would be best to add more milk or perhaps a cup of water. Simmer until it thickens again.
- Place pasta on a plate and drizzle the mixture of finished sauce on top. Place the remaining bacon or ham on top together with the chopped parsley.
The freshest ingredients must be used at all times as this gives rise for better flavor. While milk and cream of mushroom ingredients are considerably processed ingredients, it is always best to try to find a substitute. If not, choose those products that technically promote organic ingredients in its production as well. Also, Olive Oil is considered as one of the best ingredients that raises the flavor of the dish, and there is no substitute for this.
Do not be limited by availability of items on the list, be creative and substitute things you have. Take this recipe to a new level and enjoy with family and friends …. go and cook … frequently!